Saturday, May 9, 2009

The New Tour

Today I leave for Europe. I'm going on a month-long book tour. Accompanying me will be my agent, Lenore, and my best friend, Burbank. I'm very excited to get this opportunity to hang out with Burbank because we haven't had the chance recently since I've been so busy. He is also a writer, even, dare I say, better than me. He doesn't write genre fiction though--he's not that shallow. His most recent book, A Butterfly Tomorrow, is his philosophy on reincarnation in the 21st century. It took a lot of research, four years to write, and is out now on the publish-on-demand site called CreateSpace. You can pick up a copy now for only $4.00.

I’m lucky to have Burbank as my blog author. I’ve gotten some emails wondering if he is really qualified for the job, but I’ll have you know that with a background as a photojournalism student at ICP 1998 through 2001, he is very familiar with the visual and digital arts. Plus, he knows me better than anyone, having lived right down the hall from me in our apartment block in Manhattan for the last four and a half years.

Anyway, I’m up early because our plane takes off at 6:30 am. I'm sitting at the kitchen table eating a bagel and cream cheese. I'm wearing a brown sweater, khaki pants, and my silly red scarf that makes me look French. I'm having trouble answering the crossword in the Times, so I keep having to ask Burbank, who is sitting on my couch, writing my blog on his Blackberry. He always seems to know the answers.

I’m only bringing a softball duffle bag on this trip because I’m suspicious of airport baggage claims. Claiming baggage seems to be the one thing you can't do there. Burbank is bringing three suitcases. They're mostly filled with pieces of artwork that he plans to donate to museums across Europe. He's really an amazing artist. I bet he could get a lot of money for his sculptures, but he has such a big heart that he won't take any money for them. Europe will sure benefit from the culture he's giving them (He's from Teddington, just west of London, one of Europe's own).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:54 AM

    Hi, all. Milo Tomb here. I want to set the record straight on a couple of Burbank’s points.

    Burbank, I'm not sure what possessed you to write me a blog, but if you're going to, can you please get the details right? I never said I thought Europe could benefit from your art. I said museums aren't going to accept just any old junk you welded together, and that you'd benefit more from trying to sell it in New York where people won't know the difference.

    I also don’t believe that dating an art major at the International Center of Photography constitutes as being a photojournalism student.

    And the only crossword question you got right was the one about Muddy Waters. What does this say about your scope of knowledge?

    --Milo

    ReplyDelete