Sunday, May 10, 2009

The London Eye

It was raining a little by the time Burbank and I got onto the London Eye, but that’s London for you. It will be gone by mid-day.

The London Eye is the tallest Ferris Wheel in Europe, but the cool thing is that you can walk about the carriage while it’s in motion. I made Burbank take a photo of me with Big Ben down below me. He spent most of the ride explaining how if it weren’t for him falling down that hill back in the dinosaur days, this Ferris Wheel would never have been built and we’d be hanging in midair hundreds of feet above the Thames right now.

I said something clever about how if there was a murder in one of these carriages, that’d make an excellent premise for a book because you have to stay in it for half an hour. I’m copyrighting that, by the way, so you can’t steal it.

When we were still up in the air, I got a call on my mobile phone. It was Lenore. She told me how she’d just got a call from the bookshop where the signing’s to be held and they say they haven’t got their shipment of books in. I said some naughty words, and a little girl’s dad, also in the carriage with us, shot me a mean look.

After I got off the phone with Lenore, I told Burbank we are going to have to go around town and buy up as many copies of my new book as we can find and the publishers will pay me back. Lenore’s going to Charing Cross Road and down Shaftsbury, and we’re going to Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, and Angel Islington. Oh well. Even if we don’t get to the museums today, at least I will be seeing a lot of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment