Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tate Modern

We went to the Tate Modern museum because Burbank wanted to make another generous donation. While we were there, we surveyed their collection of art. I don’t really get modern art, like most Americans, I guess. I have so much to learn! I kept saying stupid things like “I could have done that.” But I didn’t, now, did I? It’s not about the product but what it represents. Why does expression have to be challenging? One day I will understand these things.

Burbank tried to donate his sculpture of a little man wearing clothing made our of the canvas of old trainers. The body was mostly paper mache and paint with a few bits of copper for teeth and hair. The museum didn’t want it, said something about selection process. They’re like me. They don’t get art. They’re just running a business. What a disgrace.

Burbank left the little shoe-clothed statue outside the front of the building and made him a little sign that said “Meeting for Tate’s rejections—All are welcome.”

No comments:

Post a Comment